Know your rights on Unofficial

Security shouts at students partying to lower the volume on Green Street on Friday, Mar. 4, 2016.

By Gillian Dunlop, Staff Writer

Under the Fourth Amendment, the Constitution prohibits unreasonable search and seizures. Law enforcement officials need to obtain a warrant to search your belongings and dorm. However, if you allow them to search your belongings, anything they find can be used as evidence against you. Anything on the door or seen through the doorway can also be used as evidence, given that police are in a location they are legally allowed to be.

According to the student code, officers cannot even enter dorm rooms without a search warrant as well.

If you are arrested, do not resist, even if you feel you are innocent or being arrested illegally. You can state your rights, but do not be hostile. It is illegal for the police to use excessive force against you, search or detain you without probable cause, or arrest you for exercising free speech,.

You do not have to submit to a breathalyzer test, however there could be severe consequences if you do not, including a 180-day suspension of your driver’s license.

The University has a medical amnesty policy that allows students to call for medical help if a student is in danger and will not face any disciplinary action, even if the person in need of help is underage or the person calling is underage.

Sources: Patrick Wade, criminal-law.freeadvice.com, Student code