I-CAUSE and Phi Iota Alpha to host “Coming Out of the Shadows”

Photo Courtesy of I-CAUSE

I-CAUSE and La Casa hosted their Undocumented Students Ally Training at La Casa Cultural Latina on February 17th.

By Leon Li, Staff Writer

The Illinois Coalition Assisting Undocumented Students’ Education (I-CAUSE) and Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity Inc. is hosting their second annual “Coming Out of the Shadows” event April 7.

The event is inspired by a demonstration that took place in Chicago in 2010 where undocumented youth gathered outside of the immigration building in the Federal Plaza and declared themselves “undocumented and unafraid.”

According to a press release from I-CAUSE, the event “allows undocumented youth to discuss how their immigration status impacts their daily life.”

Jaime Nolasco, student in I-CAUSE, said speakers will also be addressing the student body with a “call to action.”

“(The speakers will) advocate for legislative and administrative policies,” Nolasco said. “We’ll talk about how to help undocumented students here on campus in ways they can, from the micro to the macro.”

The discussion will address the deportation of undocumented immigrants as well as the circumstances for undocumented students attending the University who are not eligible for federal financial aid. Speakers will include University students and Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Renee Romano.

The event will be held at the Anniversary Plaza from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.