University ranks among best schools for international students

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The annual Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange ranked the University as second among public universities in the nation for international student enrollment, following Arizona State University. 

Including private institutions, the University ranked sixth. The report was published on Nov. 13, and it also ranked the University 20th in the country for credit-bearing study abroad participation. 

Reitumetse Obakeng Mabokela, vice provost for international affairs and global strategies, said the University is committed to encouraging students and faculty to engage on an international scale through collaborative research and study abroad opportunities.

“These global learning opportunities allow our students to graduate from Illinois with the critical competencies and experiences needed to live, work, and lead in today’s global society,” she said.

The 2017 Open Doors data revealed the University enrolled 12,454 international students this year.

According to NAFSA: Association of International Educators, international students brought in $1.6 billion and 22,270 jobs to the state of Illinois in 2016. The contribution to the Champaign-Urbana economy alone was $382 million.

“As we celebrate the University’s sesquicentennial, we are proud to recognize the integral role that our international students, faculty, staff and alumni have had in making Illinois synonymous with excellence around the globe,” said Chancellor Robert Jones.

The report also said that the bulk of all international students in the U.S. come from China, India, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and Canada. Students from the U.S. who study abroad most commonly go to the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, France and Germany.