Parts of Third Street to close with next phase of MCORE construction

Constance Sarantos

Green Street is under construction around the corner of Second and Third streets.

By Haipei Wu, Staff Writer

Despite March still seeing traces of snow, Jeremy Bushur, construction worker on Green Street, said he is glad that the harsh part of winter is already past.

With the winter conditions decreasing, the 2018 phase of the Multimodal Corridor Enhancement Project started Monday, after construction stopped last November.

“We typically schedule a construction period from March to November. We have continued to work on the project as weather allowed over the winter. This is now the time where we will re-start the major work (road reconstruction),” said Kris Koester, administrative services manager and public information officer for the city of Champaign public works, in an email.

The new phase of the MCORE project includes construction on Third Street at the north and south sides of Green Street, as well as construction at the intersection of White Street and Fourth Street. This construction will cause the east side of the intersection to be closed, allowing only one-way traffic.

Green Street will remain open to vehicular traffic until the end of commencement weekend on May 14, although miscellaneous work on sidewalks and landscaping will continue between Neil Street and Second Street.

In addition, Green Street from Goodwin Avenue to Lincoln Avenue will switch from being one-way westbound to eastbound as of Tuesday, with the north half of it closed indefinitely, according to an MCORE project update.

In response to the construction, the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District has already updated its bus routes, with details available on its website, Koester said.

He said he appreciates the patience and cooperation of those who travel near the construction work.

“We have been in continuous communication with the public throughout the process. We look forward to completing the project over the next few years,” Koester said.