Arrest made in First & Armory shooting investigation

Patrick Li

Police cars near the scene of the shooting around 1 a.m. on May 13. A suspect, 20-year-old Devon Cooper from Danville, Illinois, has been arrested by the Champaign Police Department in relation to the case.

By Brooke Eberle, Interim summer editor-in-chief

Devon Cooper, a 20-year-old Danville man, was arrested without incident today around 12:30 p.m. in Danville, Illinois, following the May 13 shooting at First Street and Armory Avenue.

On May 13, the 21-year-old male victim from Danville was walking with friends from a party in the 1100 block of South Second Street to a vehicle when shots were fired.

Around 12:45 a.m., the Champaign Police Department responded to reports of gunfire and upon arrival, found the victim suffering from serious gunshot wounds.

Officers provided on-scene medical care with tourniquet application, and the victim was transported to an area hospital where he was treated for life-threatening injuries.

The available information suggests the victim was the intended target.

The investigation is ongoing, and CPD encourages anyone who was in the near the area at the time of the shooting to contact Champaign detectives.