C-U issues emergency orders for Unofficial 2019

Brian Bauer

Students exit Kam’s during Unofficial on Friday.

By Jose Zepeda, Assistant Daytime News Editor

The cities of Urbana and Champaign have issued emergency orders in regards to Unofficial 2019, which will take place on March 1. 

Diane Marlin, mayor of Urbana; and Deborah Feinen, mayor of Champaign issued the emergency orders that covers the weekend of March 1 to March 3.

Urbana’s emergency order focuses on businesses that have a Class A liquor license. Business within the boundaries set by West Oregon Street, West Nevada Street, South Goodwin Avenue and South Lincoln Avenue are affected.

Business within these boundaries have to follow a specific set of guidelines.

No liquor license holding business can serve or permit alcohol on the premises from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Friday, serve pitchers of alcohol from 11 a.m. Friday to 2:30 a.m. Saturday, serve alcohol in glass or metal containers from 11 a.m. Friday to 2:30 a.m. Saturday, or allow anyone under 21 years of age to enter the premises from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday.

After 9 p.m., 18- to 20 year-olds can enter the premises. Finally, all liquor license holding businesses must have an employee check identification from Friday to 2:20 a.m. Saturday. That employee must be 21 years old or older.

Champaign’s emergency order includes Class A, R, RT and P license holders. Businesses with a Class A, R or RT liquor license within the boundaries set by East Springfield Avenue, South Wright Street, East Kirby Avenue and South Neil Street are affected. The boundaries for Class P liquor license holding business is extended, adding the area between South Neil Street and South State Street, while still including the same Wright and Kirby boundaries.

Class A, R and RT license holding businesses cannot serve or permit alcohol on the premises from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. Friday and Saturday, host private functions that can result in special drinking prices and other privileges from 10 a.m. Friday to 2:30 a.m. Sunday, serve alcohol in pitchers from 10 a.m. Friday to 2:30 a.m. Sunday, or serve alcohol from bottles from 10 a.m. Friday to 2:30 a.m. Sunday.

Class A license holding businesses must have an employee of or over 21 years of age checking IDs before patrons can enter the premises from Friday to 2:30 a.m. Sunday.

Patrons must be 21 years or older to enter Class A license holding businesses from 10 a.m. Friday to 2:30 a.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. Saturday to 2:30 a.m. Sunday.

Class P license holding businesses cannot deliver liquor to anyone within the boundaries set for Class P license holding businesses.

Adult Responsibility Forms must also be completed for anyone buying 168 or more 12 ounce beer or malt beverages, 100 ounces of distilled spirits or 1 keg.

No keg permits will be issued from 12:01 a.m. Friday to 2:30 a.m. Sunday.

Police will also have the authority to close all liquor licensed businesses, if pedestrian traffic will impose a problem to vehicular traffic.