CU sees two more cases of measles

By YooJin Son, Assistant Daytime News Editor

Two additional cases of measles have been reported, making a total of four cases, in the outbreaks within the past month in Champaign-Urbana.

According to the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District, two individuals have been infected by measles in early February.

The third case of measles was kept in isolation throughout the infectious period, the CUPHD reported. The fourth case, however, is waiting for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to confirm its genotyping results.

The CUPHD confirmed possible exposure locations the fourth case was traveling through while potentially infectious with measles: Texas Roadhouse, Save-A-Lot, Urbana Early Childhood School and Carle Urbana on Windsor, Convenient Care.

In case of infection, anyone who has visited the potential exposure sites is encouraged to contact public health or his or her healthcare providers to follow up.

The CUPHD reported that all four measles cases are no longer infectious.

While Champaign-Urbana is highly immunized, those who have not been vaccinated, including infants, are at high risk for infection.

Plenty of MMR vaccines are available in the Champaign-Urbana community, and if anyone has not been vaccinated, it is highly suggested to talk to a healthcare provider immediately about getting vaccinated, said Julie Pryde, CUPHD administrator, in a press release.

Measles symptoms include high fever, rash, runny nose and red watery eyes. According to the CUPHD, the virus can become easily airborne if an infected individual coughs or sneezes. Direct contact with infected mucus or saliva can put individuals at high risk for infection.

It is advised individuals experiencing symptoms should stay home and call their healthcare provider to discuss virus testing before visiting the clinic. Medical centers can provide special arrangements for measles evaluation while protecting other patients and medical staff from the risk of infection.

Pryde said the CUPHD is working closely with the Illinois Department of Public Health, Carle Foundation Hospital, Christie Clinic, OSF Heart of Mary Medical Center and the Urbana School District to limit the spread of measles in the campus community.