Urbana seeks to expand VeoRide usage

VeoRides are bikes open to the public for use through their app. The bikes are currently found laying around all over campus.

By Meghana Kaza, Staff Writer

The Urbana Council has voiced their preference for increasing the number of VeoRide bikes available in the county.

VeoRides were introduced a little less than a year ago, but there are over 500 bikes in the Champaign-Urbana district, making it one of the busiest markets for the company. According to The News Gazette, the 500 bikes have provided 165,000 rides in six months for 14,800 users.

City of Urbana Alderman Eric Jakobsson said he advocates for an increase to 750 bikes and is happy to keep VeoRide as the sole provider for some time, as the company has been a good partner. 

City planner Lily Wilcock said since these bikes have been so popular, there should not be a cap placed on how many bikes will be allowed around campus, as they reduce congestion on the streets.

The News Gazette also states Alderman Bill Brown was open to a small increase of raising the $600 fee for new applicants wanting to bring dockless bikes to the community, as VeoRide is a community benefit.