Police search for suspect in overnight shooting

By Samantha Boyle, News Editor

After 14-year-old Elijah Booker succumbed to life-threatening injuries from apparent gunshot wounds last week, the Champaign County State’s Attorney filed a petition for the suspect in juvenile court on the charges of manslaughter and unlawful use of a weapon.

According to a Champaign Police press release, preliminary evidence suggests the 15-year-old suspect accidentally discharged the firearm at a private residence in the 1600 block of Hedge Road on May 11. This fatally wounded the 14-year-old victim, as well as causing non-life-threatening injuries to another victim, a 17-year-old male.

“Police are currently seeking the whereabouts of the 15-year-old, who has not been cooperative thus far in the investigation,” the press release stated. “In light of an inability to locate him, a juvenile court warrant has been issued for his arrest.”

This is still an active investigation even though the charges have been filed. Police encourage anyone with information to call Champaign Police at 217-351-4545. Anonymous tips can also be submitted through Crime Stoppers online or by phone at 217-373-8477.