Illinois celebrates 109th Homecoming week with new events

The Daily Illini file photo

The Block I student section holds up cards spelling “coming” in “Homecoming” during halftime of the game against Purdue at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 13, 2018.

By YooJin Son, Assistant News Editor

By YooJin Son

Assistant News Editor

With the University’s long-beloved tradition upon us, students and alumni will come together for the University’s 109th Homecoming Week celebrations.

Homecoming Week takes place from Sunday to Saturday and begins with the University’s annual Illinois Homecoming 5K Race and the kickoff celebration at the Alice Campbell Alumni Center.

In a Massmail sent Tuesday, Chancellor Robert Jones encouraged students, faculty and community members to join the weeklong celebrations as they bring the University and community together.

Following the tradition as the first university to hold weeklong Homecoming celebrations, the University will be holding numerous events to welcome back alumni, share the collective history of Homecoming with community members and spark school spirit amongst students.

A variety of events will be offered, from the popular Homecoming Parade to the Illinois versus Wisconsin football game. This year, however, a few changes have been made to the list of events.

Accommodating the MCORE construction project around campus, the Homecoming Parade route has been altered, beginning from the corner of Fourth Street and Kirby Avenue. Heading north after a turn onto Pennsylvania Avenue and Sixth Street to Gregory Drive, the parade will end east past the Undergraduate Library down at Goodwin Avenue and Nevada Street.

Joining the parade will be the University’s longest-serving 14th president, Stanley Ikenberry, as the parade grand marshal. Ikenberry will also receive the Illinois Alumni Association Honorary Alumnus Award and be recognized during Saturday’s football game for his leadership and contribution.

The first Local Business-Decorating Contest will take place Wednesday to provide promotional materials for local business organizations. Global Talent Show will also take its first steps in this year’s Homecoming Week to celebrate global diversity at the University.

Several colleges within the University, including LAS, ACES, Business and AHS, will also be holding their own events, that aim to bring together alumni and students in honor of the week.

“Illinois has been celebrating Homecoming for more than 100 years, and it is a wonderful time that our faculty, staff, students, alumni and community members come together to celebrate our collective story and impact,” Chancellor Jones said in the Massmail. “I hope to see you there.”