Champaign Police make second arrest in 2018 homicide

By YooJin Son, Assistant News Editor

A Champaign homicide investigation of 2018 made its second arrest against 22-year-old Micheal Simmons for the offense of murder.

On March 23, 2018, Champaign Police responded to a report of gunshots being heard to find 18-year-old Urbana resident Ricky Green suffering a life-threatening gunshot wound in the 100 block of Apricot Drive. Green was treated with immediate on-scene medical care and transported to an area hospital where he later died of his injuries.

The Champaign Police and Champaign County State’s Attorney’s Office proceeded with an extensive investigation obtaining an arrest warrant for Simmons at $1 million on Jan. 31.

Simmon’s arrest was made at 10 a.m. in the 2000 block of Moreland Boulevard by the United States Marshals Service with assistance from the Champaign County Street Crimes Task Force.

The suspect is currently awaiting future court proceedings at the Champaign County Correctional Center.

Simmons is the second arrest for this case after 20-year-old Micheal Chatman was arrested Feb. 4 for the offense of murder.

The investigation is ongoing and all individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.