Coronavirus threat requires students in Italy to depart immediately

photo courtesy of Tribune News Service

A man wears a protective mask as he walk by a carousel in an empty Sempione Park on Friday in Milan, Italy. The U.S. Department of State raised the travel advisory to avoid travel to Italy.

By Samantha Boyle, News Editor

All University students studying abroad in Italy are required to depart the country as soon as possible for the remainder of the spring semester. They may return to the U.S., their home country or travel somewhere else.

The students were sent an email Sunday morning stating these conditions since the U.S. Department of State raised the travel advisory for Italy to Travel 4, Avoid Travel.

The University will work to provide “reasonable reimbursement” for airline tickets or change fees with a copy of the itinerary and receipt. The University is also providing financial assistance for airline tickets if students need it.

Once returned to campus, students will have to self-isolate for 14 days. After, the University will work with students to find housing and “other essentials as needed.”

The University is also working with the study abroad partner programs to implement alternative ways for the students to continue making academic progress for the semester. As of now, it’s expected that students continue their programs remotely.