Students, staff, faculty in South Korea required to leave due to coronavirus threats

By Samantha Boyle, News Editor

After it was announced that students studying in Italy must return home because of the coronavirus, a message from Chancellor Jones Monday stated that students and faculty in South Korea must also return.

Academic programs in the Daegu region of South Korea have been suspended after the United States Department of State labeled it a Level 4, “Avoid Travel” travel advisory.

These new requirements will affect 15 study abroad students in South Korea and 137 study abroad students in Italy.

Additionally, any University-related travel to China, Iran, Italy or the Daegu region of South Korea has been restricted.

Although it is only required that students in Italy and South Korea return at this time, the University is offering all 852 study abroad students to end their program early.

Students, faculty and staff members returning from any countries under the Center for Disease Control Levels 2 or 3 travel advisories will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days.

Those traveling to different countries will be affected too. If traveling abroad over spring break to nations that are under Levels 2 or 3 travel advisories, students, staff and faculty must also prove this 14-day self-quarantine before being allowed to resume campus activities.