COVID-19 claims second life from Champaign County

Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia

A map of Illinois shows Champaign county highlighted in red. Champaign county now has 2 confirmed coronavirus deaths.

By Amrita Bhattacharyya, Staff Writer

The first COVID-19 related death in the City of Champaign was reported on Thursday. This marks the second death by the coronavirus in Champaign County. 

The county’s second victim of the virus was a man in his 70s with underlying health conditions, said Julie Pryde, administrator for the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District. 

According to C-UPHD, there are currently 74 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Champaign County. Four people are hospitalized from the disease. 

The first Champaign County death from the coronavirus was reported Monday. It was a man in his 80s with underlying health conditions.

A Champaign press release urges all residents to follow the guidance of the C-UPHD as well as the stay-at-home order set by Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker. 

“This is a somber reminder of the seriousness of this virus, and the responsibility each of us carries to help reduce exposure and to keep Champaign safe,” Champaign Mayor Deb Feinen said in the press release.