Campus Faculty Association opposes reopening of campus

Photo Courtesy of CFA

A statement posted to the CFA website on May 26 states the group’s opposition to campus reopening this fall.

The Campus Faculty Association here at the University issued a statement opposing the reopening of campus this coming fall semester. 

The reasoning for this opposition, according to the statement, says it is “in order to protect the health and well-being of all UIUC students, employees, and community members.”

The statement goes on to explain that the arrival of students from all over the country and beyond, who then interact with all sorts of campus and community members, are conditions that could lead to a “super spreader event.”

While the CFA says that they appreciate efforts from the administration to prevent an outbreak upon returning this fall, protecting a full campus of this size would be almost impossible. 

The statement also showed that members of the CFA supported the administration’s creation of the “COVID-19 Pandemic Pay and Benefit Continuity Protocol,” which helps continue to pay campus workers during the crisis. The CFA requested that this protocol be extended throughout the pandemic, and that CFA members are ready to help create an emergency budget if need be.