Champaign Police Department investigates two overnight shootings

Lieutenant Joseph McCullough investigates a traffic violation on Friday, Sep. 23 2016.

By Diana Anghel, Assistant News Editor

On Sunday, the Champaign Police Department responded to a reported shooting at approximately 12:29 a.m., according to the City of Champaign press release. On the scene, the 300 block of East Daniel Street, the CPD provided medical attention to a 24-year-old male who had suffered a gunshot wound to the lower body. The victim was later transported by ambulance to a local hospital. 

About 15 minutes after the call, police were notified of another individual, a 21-year-old male who had also suffered a nonfatal gunshot to the lower body, arriving by private vehicle to a local hospital. 

According to the press release, as more police came on the scene, 19-year-old Elyjah Brown was caught after a short foot chase with “a bag that contained suspected cannabis and a large amount of United States currency.” A stolen handgun was also recovered from Brown’s fleeing path. 

The suspect was transported to Champaign County jail where he awaits court proceedings. 

At approximately 3:46 a.m., police were notified of another shooting after a victim arrived at a local hospital with two nonfatal gunshot wounds. The victim was a 26-year-old male. He reported to police that he was struck by gunfire while sitting in a vehicle in the 1200 block of North Willis Avenue.

The police department is in the process of investigating all information leading up to both shootings. It is unclear if the two events are related.