University provides students with COVID-19 summer grants

Kevin Gao

The main quad remains relatively barren at 1:48 p.m. on April 3 as many students have left campus due to the coronavirus.

By Amrita Bhattacharyya, Staff Writer

The University awarded a second round of emergency grant funds to undergraduate students over the summer who had previously applied for funds during the spring semester. 

Students who received a summer grant must have been enrolled in a summer class, eligible for Title IV aid and have financial need. 

Michelle Garcia, sophomore in ACES, received $3,900 from the emergency grant for the summer. Garcia decided to take two summer classes so that her schedule during the school year is more manageable.

Garcia said the decision to take summer classes was contingent on her receiving financial aid from the University and whether it would cover the cost of her classes. 

Having previously received $1,000 from the spring grant, Garcia said receiving the grant was completely unexpected. “When the email popped up on my phone, I was like ‘what do I owe now?’”

She received her summer grant on June 26. 

The funds can be used for summer housing costs and other expenses related to COVID-19, according to Robin Kaler, associate chancellor for public affairs. 

Undergraduate students who have been impacted by COVID-19 and are enrolled in the 2020-2021 academic year can submit a Special Circumstance Form for additional financial aid. Students must be able to demonstrate unemployment or significant loss of income in 2020, according to the form. 

The loss of income must reflect at least a 20% gross decrease from their 2018 total income reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, and be at least $2,000. 

“We’ll use the form, along with supporting documentation provided by the family, to re-evaluate the student’s need-based aid eligibility,” Kaler said in an email. 

Additional funds are not available for summer 2020, according to Kaler.