UI interim vice president testifies at US House of Representatives

Photo Courtesy of University of Illinois

Jay Walsh poses for a professional photo. Walsh has been named interim vice president for economic development and innovation for the UI System.

By Samantha Boyle, Managing Editor for Reporting

University of Illinois System Interim Vice President for Economic Development and Innovation Jay Walsh testified in front of a subcommittee in the U.S. House of Representatives on Wednesday morning.

Walsh testified in front of the Subcommittee on Research and Technology, which is a part of the Committee on Science, Space and Technology. Walsh is a part of a panel of University representatives who are examining the role higher education can have in slowing the spread of COVID-19, according to a UI System press release.

The panel is also looking into how these efforts to slow the virus in higher education will impact the progress of research and the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics talent pipeline.

The testimony began on Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. and ended at noon.

The subcommittee is also looking into what is necessary for universities to bounce back from impact the COVID-19 pandemic had.  On Wednesday, the subcommittee also heard testimony on the Research Investment to Spark Economy Act and the Supporting-Career Researchers Act.

Other university leaders on the panel with Walsh included David Stone, associate vice president for research at Oakland University; Theresa Mayer, executive vice president for research and partnerships at Purdue University; and Ryan Muzzio, graduate student in Physics at Carnegie Mellon University.