Chancellor Jones talks biggest challenges limiting COVID-19 spread

Mark Capapas

Chancellor Robert Jones prepares to deliver the State of the University address on Jan. 24, 2020. Jones answers questions from the Illinois community below.

By JJ Kim

1. The Big Ten announced that they’d test their athletes every day with an antigen test, will students at the University be able to have access to these same tests?

Our student-athletes on the football team will be tested with antigen tests daily, as mandated by the Big Ten Conference. Also, these student-athletes and the rest of our student-athletes will continue to be tested with our on-campus saliva-based testing. Our on-campus saliva testing is among the best in the country, and that will continue to be the on-campus COVID-19 testing we offer our faculty, staff and students.

2. Through your observations since the semester began, what has been the biggest challenge in limiting the spread of COVID-19 on campus? 

The biggest challenge with limiting the spread of COVID-19 on campus is getting a small number of students to understand that their actions affect others. I’m proud that most members of our university community are taking this seriously and are doing their part to maximize the safety of everyone, and I am encouraged by the progress we have made.

3. What is the University’s relationship with local public schools in terms of sharing saliva test technology with them?

The university is very committed to our local communities, including our local school districts. SHIELD Illinois, a program run by the University of Illinois System, is working with school leaders in our communities to determine the best way to provide access to the saliva-based testing for their students and staff as soon as that is possible.

4. What is the status of the saliva test’s official FDA approval? 

The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is now performing its new rapid, saliva-based COVID-19 test on all students, faculty and staff. The University validated its laboratory-developed test under CLIA by successfully comparing its performance to an FDA Emergency Use Authorized test. This is different than FDA approval.