No charges filed for incidents during July protests

Screenshot of Facebook Live

A red pickup truck drives through a small protest outside of the Rogue Barber Shop on July 25. The Champaign County State’s Attorney will not be filing charges against the driver.

By Samantha Boyle, Managing Editor for Reporting

No criminal charges have been filed against any individuals in connection with incidents that happened outside of Rogue Barber Shop during a protest over the summer.

Champaign County State’s Attorney Julia Rietz informed the city on Oct. 2 that the pickup truck driver who drove through a small protest on July 25 will not face any criminal charges. In addition, after four police reports were submitted regarding vandalism and threats to the barber shop and its owner, the State’s Attorney Office did not file charges against any individuals for the alleged vandalism or threats.

Rogue Barber Shop, located on 12 E. Washington St., then closed on Aug. 6 after only being open for nine months.

According to a Champaign press release, the State’s Attorney’s Office declined to file charges against the truck driver for several reasons: The driver was driving slowly away from the scene, one protestor put his bike in the way of the truck and other protestors put themselves in front of the truck, pounding on it or converging on it, instead of moving away from it.

“I am declining to file state criminal charges with regards to any of the situations,” Rietz said to Champaign Police on Oct. 2. “Champaign City Legal is welcome to consider ordinance violations as may be appropriate.”

During the July protests, Rogue Barber Shop had been the subject of criticism and the site of Black Lives Matter protests after a Facebook post made by the business in July stated it was now going to be a private membership “(not unisex)” and would require members to fill out an application, the News-Gazette reported. Many have criticized the post as being discriminatory and the post has since been deleted.

Police conducted several interviews, examined third-party videos and analyzed additional evidence to then turn over to the Champaign County State’s Attorney’s Office on Sept. 25.