Urbana businesses receive COVID-19 relief funds

Ryan Ash

A local artist performs at the Rose Bowl Tavern on Feb. 29. The Rose Bowl Tavern is one of the Urbana business that has received a COVID-19 grant.

By Samantha Boyle, Managing Editor for Reporting

Several businesses in Urbana have received COVID-19 relief funding over the past several months. The funding totaled to $1.1 million.

The funding was granted in order to help businesses “defray costs of operating a business during the pandemic,” according to a City of Urbana press release.

“We’re grateful to be able to distribute over $1 million in COVID-19 relief funds to local businesses. Our community has rallied around these businesses to help maintain their operations and help retain jobs. We continue to ask everyone to wear a mask and respect public health guidelines to help them stay open,” said Mayor Diane Wolfe Marlin in the press release.

The funding is split up into three grants. The first grant is the Hospitality Emergency Grant Program, which helps hospitality businesses during the pandemic. The only recipient of this grant is the Rose Bowl Tavern.

The next grant is split up into two rounds. The State of Illinois Business Interruption Grant is used to fund small businesses hit hardest by the pandemic. Round one of this fund is directed toward restaurants, personal care services and gyms.

Round one recipients include Amara Yoga & Arts, Baldarotta’s, Broadway Food Group, BBQ Premium Chicken, Merry-Ann’s Diner, Bab Plus Korean Restaurant, Cafeteria & Co/Sipyard, Basil Thai, Urbana Gardens Restaurant, Wood N Hog and H2o Salon.

Round two provides relief for all small businesses, with a focus on downstate businesses including Bunny’s Tavern, Blackbird (NOLAS), Rose Bowl Tavern, Masijta Grill, Memory Lane Photography, Ricks Bakery, Crane Alley, Dancing Dog, The Scotsman’s Kitchen, Allied Mechanical Services and Michelle’s Bridal.

The last grant is the Community Development Block Grant, which helps businesses recover during the pandemic. A total of 28 businesses were granted money through this grant including Econo Lodge, Brittany’s Sweet Spot, Soul Care, Rose Bowl Tavern, Po Boys, Ms. Angis Hair and Ashar African Market.