Heavy snow leads to widespread cancellations in CU, campus

Students have fun in the snow on Oct. 31, 2019. A recent snow storm has caused cancelations in the CU area.

By Samantha Boyle, Managing Editor for Reporting

A near-nationwide winter storm has seized the Midwest and South, causing power outages and issues across hundreds of counties.

After Champaign-Urbana was hit with ten inches of snow through Monday and Tuesday, some schools resorted to online instruction, while other buildings and services closed for the day.

On-campus, COVID-19 testing sites opened at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, instead of the usual 8 a.m. start, because of the wintry conditions.

A winter storm warning went into effect on Monday and several businesses started to close beginning Monday morning.

Unit 4 schools, for example, were notified Monday afternoon that instruction on Tuesday would be fully remote.

Champaign County Forest Preserves, including Homer Lake, Lake of the Woods, Middle Fork River, River Bend and Sangamon River, closed for the entire day Monday stating that blowing snow would make it difficult to keep roads clear and safe.

Additionally, all city buildings in Urbana closed on 2 p.m. Monday and the City Council meeting has been rescheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday. Urbana facilities closed on Tuesday as well, where only essential services were to remain open. Essential services include police, fire and public works.

The City of Champaign addressed the snowfall and encouraged community members to take precautions if they needed to travel or leave their homes for any reason.

Residents are also not to place cleared snow onto the city streets as it creates obstacles for vehicles and snowplows.

“The City encourages all citizens and businesses to clear sidewalks to allow for safer pedestrian and accessible travel,” a city of Champaign press release stated on Monday.