Voting begins for Spring 2021 student elections

By George Phelan, Staff Writer

Voting began on Tuesday for this spring semester’s student elections. Via a virtual ballot, the student body will elect candidates to represent them in the Illinois State Government, the University Senate and other campus committees. 

Offices up for election include next year’s ISG student body president and vice president, University student trustee, ISG and University senators representing all colleges and the student members of the Student Organization Resource Fee Board.

On the ballot for ISG president and vice president are:

• Enoma Egiebor and Nicole Arnold, sophomores in LAS
  • Tyler Swanson and Vada Gregory, sophomore in ACES and junior in Media
  • Logan Angone and Abby Amado, junior in Education and junior in Business

Candidates for student trustee include Justin Huff, junior in ACES, Mariama Mwilambwe, sophomore in LAS, Alexis Perezchica, junior in LAS and Adrian Wong, graduate student.

For ISG senate elections, only 10 out of the 11 colleges up for election have candidates on the ballot and only seven of the 12 colleges for the UC-Senate have candidates.

The Student Organization Resource Fee Board, which reviews funding for RSOs, has five candidates running for membership this semester.

The campus election ballot also includes referendum questions, which are primarily focused on budgetary and social issues. 

Included on the ballot are referendum questions for student-initiated fees, such as the continued inclusion of the Krannert Center fee in student campus fees, as well as a fee for “Collegiate Readership,” which will pay for student access to digital media such as The New York Times, Wall Street Journal and USA Today. 

Students will also vote on an ISG-sponsored proposal to reallocate 25% of the University of Illinois Police Department’s funding “toward resources for students, workers and community members via a participatory budgeting process,” according to the ballot. 

Additionally, students will vote on the creation of a department to support undocumented and DACA students.

Voting takes place online from Tuesday, March 23 at midnight through Wednesday, March 24 at 11:59 p.m.