City of Urbana installs “Curbanas”

A Curbana sits outside of café in Urbana. Curbanas are beginning to be made outside of Urbana restaurants for people to enjoy their meals.

Photo Courtesy of The City of Urbana

A “Curbana” sits outside of café in Urbana. “Curbanas” are beginning to be made outside of Urbana restaurants for people to enjoy their meals.

By Amrita Bhattacharyya, Interim Editor-in-Chief

The City of Urbana has installed two “Curbanas” in downtown Urbana, expanding outdoor seating arrangements for the public.

Specially named for Urbana and called a parklet in other communities, Curbanas are enclosed raised deck structures next to the sidewalk which provide outdoor seating for the public. 

The first two Curbanas are installed in front of Nola’s and Café & Co. on Main Street.

Curbanas were introduced to Urbana in 2014, although they eventually fell into disrepair and were no longer safe to use. 

Downtown businesses were surveyed on if additional public space was desired to service patrons, shoppers and live entertainers, according to a press release by Bridget Broihahn, communications specialist for the City of Urbana.

“The Curbanas demonstrate that Urbana is open and ready for business, and we invite you to enjoy our unique downtown from these special installations,” said Stepheny McMahon, economic development supervisor of the City of Urbana, in a press release.  “After such a long pandemic, we want to do what we can to entice and welcome patrons to our businesses.”

Curbanas use a few parking spaces and the installation of additional bicycle parking is planned by the city.