Illinois transitions into Phase 5, fully reopens

Student+Ryan+Reeder+takes+a+Covid+spit+test+on+Feb.+1.+Illinois+is+moving+into+phase+5+of+the+covid+plan+with+everything+being+fully+open.+

Cameron Krasucki

Student Ryan Reeder takes a Covid spit test on Feb. 1. Illinois is moving into phase 5 of the covid plan with everything being fully open.

By Amrita Bhattacharyya, Interim Editor-in-Chief

The State of Illinois transitioned into a full reopening on Friday, eliminating all capacity limits on businesses, large-scale events and other venues. 

This transition marks the final phase of the Restore Illinois Plan, Phase 5: Illinois Restored.

The State of Illinois has administered upwards of 11.8 million doses total of the COVID-19 vaccine as of Thursday, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health

More than 68% of Illinois residents age 18 and over have received at least one dose of the vaccine, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

51% of adults are fully vaccinated and more than 88% of Illinois seniors have received at least one dose. 

Fully vaccinated and non-vaccinated individuals are still required to wear a face covering in certain situations including on public transportation, in congregate facilities such as homeless shelters and in health care settings, consistent with CDC guidance. 

“I invite all Illinoisans to feel the hope and joy of this moment while also recognizing that this pandemic is still very present for the world at large — not to mention those here at home who have not been or cannot be vaccinated,” said Gov. J.B. Pritzker in a press release

50.26% of the Champaign County population has been fully vaccinated as of Thursday, according to the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District.

Summer in-person classes at the University will continue requiring students and faculty to wear face coverings and practice social distancing, according to a Massmail

The University is still considering what moving into Phase 5 will mean for fall 2021 classes and will announce more details in the coming weeks. 

Compliance will be enforced on the honor system, and University supervisors may ask employees if they are fully vaccinated. 

“We are at a critical period of the COVID-19 pandemic, when we need to demonstrate our commitment to one another by being honest and compassionate,” said Chancellor Robert Jones in the Massmail.