CUMTD kicks off vaccine lottery

Jacob Wargo

Students board the 9B Brown MTD bus at a stop on Wright St on Oct. 4, 2019. CUMTD is offering a vaccine lottery to all employees in which they could potentially win 5,000 dollars on the first Friday of each month.

By Amrita Bhattacharyya, Interim Editor-in-Chief

The Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District is beginning a vaccine lottery for employees, with a $5,000 drawing on the first Friday of each month. 

The lottery is funded by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act, a $2 trillion stimulus package intended to aid businesses through the economic downturn. 

“Our workforce is exposed on the frontline with the public every day and it is important for the District to have a healthy, stable workforce in order to maintain our ongoing service to the community,” said Amy Snyder, chief of staff of CUMTD, in a press release. 

The first drawing is Friday at 4 p.m. at the Administration & Operations Facility on 1101 E. University Ave. 

While we will not infringe on the personal choices of our employees, we are offering this incentive for our workforce to be vaccinated and healthy,” Snyder said in the press release.