Siebel Center for Design opens up to students

Cameron Krasucki

A view from inside the new Siebel Center as it opens for students to use. The Siebel Center lets many students, regardless of their major, innovate and create.

By Royal Shrestha, Staff Writer

On Aug. 2, the Siebel Center for Design opened its doors to students for the first time. 

The new center’s mission is to serve as a hub for innovation and collaboration for all students regardless of major, according to Lisa Bralts, associate director of marketing.

“Siebel has many spaces for students to work in, ” Bralts said. “Our gallery allows students to work with their friends or take classes in an enormous, gorgeous space. Spaces such as starlight cafe and amphitheater allow for discussions, workshops and classes to take place.”

Other spaces include a workshop and tool shop space that offers 3D printers, laser cutters, woodworking power tools and other equipment. Students without experience can also receive hands-on learning at SCD. 

There are also upper and lower-level collaboration studios. The SCD’s upper levels studios are available for class instruction and small group meetings. The lower level studio allows for students and campus RSO’s to use as a group space. 

Salim Shehab, postdoctoral research associate who currently leads SCD’s assessment and Research Lab, described the many exciting opportunities available for students at SCD. 

“We will be holding a series of free workshops throughout the semester where all students are welcomed,” Shehab said. “In addition, we will have two classes, introduction to design thinking as well as design for social impact.”

With much to explore at SCD, many students have already begun touring and using the spaces available to them.

“On one of my morning runs, I passed by 50-60 students just taking a visit to the Siebel, ” Shehab said. “It’s a popular space and we already have many reservations for certain areas at Siebel each day.” 

Bishal Baskota, sophomore in LAS, described that visiting SCD was a great experience and the quiet spaces it offered allowed him and his friends to collaborate on their first class project together. 

“This is my first time on campus and I was looking into study spaces for my next few years here,” Baskota said. “As I explored campus during my first week, I was especially taken back by Siebel’s exterior. The exterior almost reminded me of Apple Park with glass surrounding the entire building.” 

With the slow transition back to in-person classes and events, you can expect SCD to offer many new workshops, classes and events which can be found on their website