Children ages 5-11 eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccine

Ryan Ash

Healthcare worker places syringes filled with the Covid-19 vaccine at the I-Hotel on Feb 11. The CDC and FDA has now approved the Pfizer vaccine for children ages give to 11.

By Vivian La, Assistant Daytime Editor

The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District announced Wednesday that children ages five through 11 are eligible to receive Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine and are hosting community vaccination clinics by appointment.

This comes after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s official authorization of the Pfizer vaccine on Tuesday for children ages five through 11.

Community vaccination clinics are available by appointment at the University’s I-Hotel and Conference Center on Friday and Saturday. As of Wednesday, all spots have been filled.

Appointments can be made soon through MyCarle for the clinic at Kohl’s Plaza, according to a CUPHD press release. Clinics will be at select times on the weekends in November.

Appointments through OSF HealthCare can be scheduled online and vaccines will be available at all primary care clinics. Local pharmacies may also have available vaccines and appointments can be found online.

Urbana School District 116 is hosting a vaccine clinic for students ages five through 11 on Friday at Urbana High School.

Champaign Unit 4 Schools does not have any vaccine clinics and plans for upcoming clinics are dependent on CUPHD, said Shamiira Brown, substitute coordinator for the district.

According to a press release from the FDA, the vaccine for this age group will be administered at a lower dosage of 10 micrograms than the 30 micrograms given to individuals who are over the age of 12. 

University employees can use accumulated vacation days or sick leave to accompany a child or family member to get a vaccine or booster, according to a Massmail sent on Wednesday by Mike DeLorenzo, vice chancellor for Administration and Operations.