Body of missing UI graduate found in Chicago River

Photo Courtesy of The Bascaran Family

Iñaki Bascaran (left) with his father Jose Bascaran. The body of missing 23 year-old University alumni Iñaki Bascaran was found in the Chicago River last Friday following a six-day search.

By George Phelan, Staff Writer

The body of missing 23-year-old University alumni Iñaki Bascaran was found in the Chicago River last Friday following a six-day search involving the Chicago Police department, private detectives and thousands of volunteers from social media.

Funeral services, which were livestreamed, took place Wednesday afternoon in Bascaran’s hometown, Glenview, Illinois.

Bascaran went missing on Oct. 31, while presumably attempting to walk back to his apartment in Chicago, approximately 4.5 miles away from the bar he was at, according to a press release from private investigators on the case.

The search for Bascaran lasted six days, ending with the announcement that his body had been found in the Chicago River by a police diving team. 

The Chicago Police Department said they worked in conjunction with the Vantius private detective agency and more than 10,000 people across social media to look for him. 

Bascaran had studied Economics and Informatics at the University, graduating in spring 2020. A Glenview native, he participated in the University’s study abroad program for economics in Vienna in 2019 and was a member of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity.

In a press release, his family expressed gratitude to all who had helped them in the search for Bascaran.