Champaign Police Department investigates three overnight weekend shootings

Police+survey+area+at+the+intersection+of+Green+and+Wright+St.+on+Aug+28%2C+2020.+Over+the+holiday+weekend%2C+several+crimes+took+place+that+have+ongoing+investigations+currently+happening.+

The Daily Illini Photo File

Police survey area at the intersection of Green and Wright St. on Aug 28, 2020. Over the holiday weekend, several crimes took place that have ongoing investigations currently happening.

By Amrita Bhattacharyya, News Editor

The Champaign Police Department is investigating three overnight shootings this weekend which resulted in three individuals suffering non-life-threatening injuries from gunshot wounds. 

On Saturday at approximately 8:56 p.m., CPD responded to the area of North fifth Street and East Bradley Avenue for shots fired. A 19-year-old male arrived at a local hospital with a non-life-threatening gunshot wound to his arm and reported being the victim of a drive-by shooting. Officers located over 50 shell casings at the scene.

On Sunday at 12:38 a.m., CPD responded to the 100 block of North Walnut Street for the report of a shooting with injuries. A preliminary investigation indicates shots were fired following a fight. A 29-year-old male suffered a non-life-threatening gunshot wound to his leg.

On Sunday at 1:01 a.m., CPD again responded to the 700 block of Hollycrest Drive for the report of shots fired. A 22-year-old-male suffered a non-life-threatening gunshot wound to his arm and graze wound to his stomach. 

According to a press release by CPD, it is unknown whether there is any relationship between these three incidents. No arrests have been made at this time, and the investigation is ongoing.