Winter shelters open in downtown Champaign

A+poster+is+displayed+from+a+volunteer+from+C-U+at+Home+in+2018.+The+organization+has+accommodated+two+winter+shelters+in+Champaign.+

Photo courtesy of C-U at Home Website

A poster is displayed from a volunteer from C-U at Home in 2018. The organization has accommodated two winter shelters in Champaign.

By Thomas DeMouy, Staff Writer

C-U at Home, a Champaign-based homeless service organization, opened two emergency winter shelters in downtown Champaign last week. 

These low barrier shelters will continue to assist the city’s homeless population until April 15. They are based at the First Presbyterian Church and the New Covenant Fellowship. 

Combined, they are able to accomodate 25 men and 10 women; this supplements C-U at Home’s Washington Street facility, which has a capacity of 48 men and 14 women. 

Although drug and alcohol use is not tolerated within these facilities, those who seek shelter while under the influence of substances will be accommodated. The shelters were set up in collaboration with five local funding partners, including the city of Champaign and the city of Urbana.