Live Updates: Illinois primary elections results

By Matt Troher, Interim Features Editor

Tuesday, June 28, voters across Illinois cast their votes in their respective party’s primary elections. Primaries were held for Governor, senator and congressional representatives, as well as various local and county-wide election. All 17 of Illinois’ congressional districts are up for election following a contentious and controversial redistricting process that some say favors the Democrats.

Six Republicans are running in their party’s primary for Governor, competing for the chance to face incumbent Democrat Governor JB Pritzker come November. Pritzker has attracted both criticism and praise for his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Today’s primaries come amidst a time of political turmoil; the recent Supreme Court Decision overturning Roe v. Wade has thrust abortion rights into the center of the political conversation, while rising gas prices have held the economy as a central theme throughout the duration of the primaries. As polls close at 7:00 p.m. central time, votes will be tallied to determine who will advance to the general election, set for Tuesday, Nov. 8.

This page will be updated throughout the night as election results come in.

10:47: NBC News called that Esther Joy King won the Republican primary for Illinois’ 17th congressional district. King, a lawyer and former U.S. Army Reserves Captain, is leading her opponent, Charlie Helmick, a small business owner, with 68% of the vote at the time of the call.

10:36: NBC News called that Keith Pekau won the Republican primary for Illinois’ sixth congressional district. Pekau, a former mayor of Orland Park, is leading five other Republican challengers with 39% of the vote at the time of the call. Pekau will face incumbent Democrat Sean Casten in the sixth district general election come November.

10:30: WGN News called that Jonathan Jackson won the Democrat primary for Illinois’ first congressional district. Jackson, the son of Civil Rights activist Jessie Jackson, defeated 16 other Democrat challengers with 28% of the vote at the time of the call. Jackson seeks to take over for incumbent representative Bobby Rush, who is retiring after 15 terms as the district’s representative.

10:00: NBC News called that Raja Krishnamoorthi won the Democrat primary for Illinois’ eighth congressional district. Krishnamoorthi, the district’s incumbent representative, is seeking reelection for a fourth term. Krishnamoorthi, who is leading with 71% of the vote at the time of the call, has out-fundraised his nearest competitor, Junaid Ahmed, by a 7-to-1 margin.

9:47: NBC News called that Darin LaHood won the Republican primary for Illinois’ 16th congressional district. LaHood, who’s the incumbent representative for the state’s former 18th district, became part of the 16th district after his former district was dissolved during the redistricting process. LaHood is leading his nearest opponent, Walt Peters, an aerospace engineer, with 63% of the vote at the time of the call.

9:40: NBC News called that Nikki Budzinski won the Democrat primary for Illinois’ 13th congressional district, which serves the Champaign-Urbana area, as well as Bloomington-Normal, Springfield and Decatur. Budzinski, a senior advisor to Governor J.B. Pritzker on labor issues, is leading her opponent David Palmer, a former professional basketball player, with 77% of the vote.

9:25: The AP called that Mary Miller won the Republican primary for Illinois’ 15th congressional district. Miller, the district’s incumbent, defeated Rodney Davis, the incumbent representative for the state’s 13th district, with 58% of the vote at the time of the call. Davis moved to the 15th district following the redistricting process, which was redrawn to favor the Democrats. Miller’s victory comes after a high-profile endorsement from former president Donald Trump.

9:22: WGN called that Sean Casten won the Democrat primary for Illinois’ sixth congressional district. Casten, the district’s incumbent, defeated his more progressive opponent, Marie Newman, with 65% of the vote at the time of their call.

9:12: WGN  called that Delia Ramirez won the Democrat primary for Illinois’ third congressional district. Ramirez, who currently serves in the Illinois State House of Representatives, trailed her competitor Gilbert Villegas in terms of fundraising, but won with 66% of the vote following high-profile endorsements from U.S. Senators Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.

8:23: The AP called that Darren Bailey won the Republican primary for Illinois Governor. Bailey, who has served one term in the Illinois State House of Representatives, received the endorsement of former president Donald Trump.

7:51: News outlets reporting low voter turnout across the state. Analysts are naming the later election date, compared to March in previous years, and the prevalence of incumbents running for reelection as potential reasons for low turnout.

7:35: The AP called that JB Pritzker won the Democrat primary for Illinois Governor. As of their calling, Pritzker has 93% of the vote against challenger Beverly Miles, a member of the City of Chicago’s Advisory committee on Veteran Affairs.