Shots fired at corner of Green, Locust streets

A+University+of+Illinois+police+car+patrols+the+streets+on+Sept.+29%2C+2020.+An+Illini+Alert+was+sent+out+regarding+shots+fired+on+the+corner+of+Green+and+Locust+on+Monday.++

Brigida Dockus

A University of Illinois police car patrols the streets on Sept. 29, 2020. An Illini Alert was sent out regarding shots fired on the corner of Green and Locust on Monday.

By Matt Troher, Interim Features Editor

An Illini Alert was sent out at 9:52 p.m. regarding shots fired on the corner of Green and Locust on the evening of July 4. 

The shots were fired around the same time community members were leaving State Farm Center following a fireworks display. According to Patrick Wade, communications director for the University of Illinois Police department, UIPD began directing traffic away from the scene of the crime.

Police are still investigating the scene, as the suspect is believed to have left the area. No one has been injured according to initial reports.

A subsequent Illini Alert was sent at 10:22 p.m. announcing the emergency had ended and that it was safe to assume regular activities. 

According to a later Champaign Police Department press release, the incident’s proximity to the nearby Champaign County Freedom Celebration meant that additional community notification — including the Illini Alert — was warranted.

According to the press release, no victims have come forward yet, although one business in the area was damaged by a stray bullet during the incident.

The press release also said that witnesses reported “multiple subjects involved in the incident” and that shell casings for found in a parking lot nearby. No arrests have been made in connection with the incident and the investigation is ongoing.

CPD believes that “video footage may be of investigative assistance” and is asking for anyone with video footage of the incident to notify police.

CPD can be reached at 217-351-4545. Anonymous tips can also be submitted to Crime Stoppers by phone at 217-373-8477 (TIPS), online at 373tips.com or through the “P3 Tips” mobile app.

Editor’s note: This story was updated on July 5, 2022 to include additional information about the incident released by CPD.