Collision occurs at Lincoln, Florida Avenue intersection

Urbana+police+and+firefighters+talk+to+Urbana+resident+who+was+involved+in+a+collision+Wednesday+night.+

Zainie Qureshi

Urbana police and firefighters talk to Urbana resident who was involved in a collision Wednesday night.

By Zainie Qureshi, Staff Writer

Two vehicles collided at the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and Florida Avenue in Urbana at approximately 10:15 p.m. on Wednesday. 

Both drivers sustained minor injuries, and one of the vehicles suffered extensive damage. 

The crash occurred when one vehicle was heading west on Florida Avenue and collided with a car heading north on Lincoln Avenue. 

According to Urbana resident Aniya Winfield, who was driving the vehicle heading north on Lincoln Avenue, the other car on Florida Avenue went through the intersection even though they had a red light. Winfield ended up hitting the other vehicle.

The collision caused Winfield’s car to spin the opposite way from which she was heading. After her car stopped, Winfield got out and ran toward the other vehicle involved in the accident, which was continuing down Lincoln Avenue at the time.

“If I hadn’t gotten out of my car, it seemed like (the other vehicle) would have kept going,” Winfield said. 

Winfield also said the other driver admitted to her that they had previously consumed alcohol before driving. At the time of comment, the police were in the process of breathalyzing them. 

Authorities arrived at the scene approximately five minutes after the accident took place. 

The other driver and Urbana police were unavailable for comment. The crash is still under investigation by local authorities.