Two sexual assaults reported over Halloween weekend

Lieutenant Joseph McCullough investigates a traffic violation on Friday, Sep. 23 2016.

By Lilli Bresnahan, Assistant News Editor

On Sunday, a campus safety notice alerted students and staff about sexual assault that occurred at around 3:45 a.m. somewhere between Sherman Hall and Allen Hall. 

“It was reported that the student was walking between those two locations when she encountered a man who led her inside a building and committed sexual assault,” the notice said. “The offender is not a person known to the student.”

Alice Carry, the University of Illinois Police Department police chief, mentioned in the notice that the specific details were excluded from the notice to protect the identity of the survivor.

“We do this to reduce the possibility that a survivor becomes the target of retaliation, harassment or further psychological harm,” the notice said.

Previously, UIPD reported that a sexual assault that took place in a fraternity on Friday at an unnamed fraternity. 

The two incidents remain under investigation, according to a campus safety notice sent on Monday

“University Police take reports of sexual assault seriously, and we work with survivors to proceed in a way that is understanding of their experience and supportive of their needs,” the Monday notice said.