Trump to be first former president to face criminal charges

Photo courtesy of Gage Skidmore / The Star News Network

Following the Grand Jury’s vote to indict him, Donald Trump will be the first ever president to face criminal charges. Trump is facing another trial with criminal implications after being indicted on 37 federal charges on June 8.

By Lika Lezhava and Conor Blount

Former President Donald Trump was indicted for three official charges by Manhattan grand jury. 

The case was originally centered around a $130,000 payment to adult film star, Stormy Daniels, around the closing of the 2016 presidential elections. 

The charges surround the claims of extramarital sexual encounters with Daniels.

This is the first time in history a former president will face criminal charges. 

Daniels had originally filed for the suit in 2016, which Trump has repeatedly denied. 

According to the former president, the entirety of the case is a “witch hunt” that is supposedly led by the Democratic parties running against him. 

At the moment, Trump is the leading Republican candidate for the 2024 elections. The gravity of this case can make a detrimental impact. 

The charges do not legally prevent the former president from running for office once again.