Man charged in altercation at Chinese restaurant

Monday evening, the Champaign Police Department received notice of an incident on the 400 block of East University Avenue, where Chinese restaurant Golden Wok is located. The incident was described to police as an altercation inside of the restaurant, according to Joe Lamberson, CPD spokesman.

43-year-old Charles Bell was identified by witnesses as responsible for battering multiple employees at the restaurant. 

According to Lamberson, “Officers interviewed witnesses at the scene and learned that Bell had ordered food and left the restaurant with his order, but returned a short time later to complain about it.”

Bell reportedly quickly became agitated, “throwing items from the counter, breaking glass, yelling obscenities and battering staff.”

After CPD’s arrival, Bell attempted to flee from officers but was apprehended. 

Following the incident, Bell was spotted walking away from the business and bleeding from a large cut on his hand. He reportedly showed “signs of an altered mental state” and was transported to a hospital for treatment and evaluation. 

“Bell was treated by medical staff, then transported to the Champaign County Correctional Facility on charges of Aggravated Battery, Reckless Conduct, Criminal Damage to Property and Resisting or Obstructing a Peace Officer,” according to Lamberson. 

This story will be updated as new information becomes available.