Interstate 55 shuts down in multiple vehicle crash

A+semi-truck+destroyed+on+the+side+of+the+road+after+multiple+vehicle+crash+on+Interstate+55.+

Courtesy of ISP

A semi-truck destroyed on the side of the road after multiple vehicle crash on Interstate 55.

By Ella Narag, Aidan Sadovi and Kiran Bond

At approximately 11:04 a.m. on Monday, a multiple vehicle crash was reported on Interstate 55. Over 20 vehicles were involved in the crash.

The incident occurred due to low visibility from blowing dust, officials said. Illinois State Troops 6 and 8 responded to the MVC and treated injuries of the people in the crash. 

The Illinois State Police responded to a call near mile marker 76 in Montgomery County, a city that is roughly 106 miles southwest of Champaign and on the Illinois side of the St. Louis metro area. The Springfield Fire Department is also dispatched onto the scene. 

Currently, I-55 is shut down from milepost 63 to 80 in both directions. The highway spans from Chicago, Illinois to LaPlance, Louisiana. It passes through Springfield, Illinois and the metro area of Bloomington-Normal. 

Travelers are encouraged to find an alternative route. Divernon City Hall, located near mile marker 80, currently serves as the meeting point for families to reunite. 

UPDATE:

In a press release sent out Monday evening, the Illinois State Police said they had reports of more than 35 people being transported to the hospital and “multiple fatalities.”

“Injuries range from minor to life-threatening and ages range from 2 years old to 80 years old,” the press release said. 

ISP said reports show there are six fatalities, “all occurring in northbound lanes.” The release also said ISP does not have additional information on these individuals at this time. 

ISP said that at 10:55 a.m. there was a crash on northbound Interstate 55 at “milepost 76.” 

“At the same time, there were numerous crashes on southbound Interstate 55 at milepost 76,” the release continued. “The crashes occurred within a two-mile stretch – from roughly milepost 76 to milepost 78.” 

ISP also said approximately 30 “commercial motor vehicles” and “40 to 60 passenger cars were involved,” including two truck-tractor semitrailers that caught fire as a result of the crashes. So far, there are a total of 72 vehicles reported to be involved in the crash. 

ISP continues to investigate the crash, the release said.