Two shot, one dead in homicide incident on S. State Street

At least two people were shot in an incident at the 1700 block of S. State Street last night. One victim later died from his injuries while the other remains in stable condition.

A press release from the Champaign Police Department said Champaign Police responded to a report of a shooting with injuries last night at 7:39 p.m. Two large groups of people were involved in a physical altercation in a parking lot on S. State Street.

A member of one of the groups reportedly shot a 20-year-old Champaign man in the head and a 21-year-old Champaign woman in the leg. Both victims were transported to a hospital immediately after officers arrived on the scene, where the man eventually died from his injuries.

After the gunshots were fired, everyone present fled the area, although the Champaign Police said that several were detained for questioning. No arrests have been made as of Friday morning.

According to the press release, this investigation is ongoing. Video footage from the surrounding area is being viewed by the Champaign Police, and anyone with potentially helpful footage is encouraged to come forward.

Champaign Police have additionally requested that anyone with information relating to the incident call 217-351-4545. Anyone wishing to submit an anonymous tip may call Crime Stoppers at 217-373-8477 or submit information anonymously online here.

Crime Stoppers is willing to provide cash rewards of up to $5,000 for tips leading to an arrest in a homicide case.