Champaign County first responders to hold training July 25

The Champaign Police Department announced in a press release earlier today that a joint training exercise will be held on Tuesday July 25 at Jefferson Middle School in Champaign.

Hosted by Champaign County first responders, the training exercise “will help prepare first responders for rapid response emergency scenarios and mutual aid needs that may occur in Champaign County,” the release said.

The training will take six hours, from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., and is designed to prepare and train first responders in “addressing major incidents in real time.”

According to the release, first responder vehicles such as police cars, fire trucks and ambulances will be present in the area surrounding the school during the day of the training. 

Additionally, any nearby residents may hear the use of non-projectile “blank” rounds, as training weapons will be in use inside of the building. The general public is asked to avoid the training site on July 25. 

While Jefferson Middle School and its parking lots will be completely closed off, Crescent Drive will remain completely open.

In the release, CPD thanked Unit 4 School District “for their assistance and use of their facility” during the training exercise.