Champaign Police announce residents can serve on interview panel for hiring new officers

The Champaign Police Department announced in a press release Wednesday that Champaign residents may now apply to serve on an interview panel for hiring new officers.

According to the release, selected volunteers will interview applicants and provide feedback for the Champaign Chief of Police Timothy T. Tyler. Resident panelists would “provide valuable input” which would be used in the hiring of new officers.

Resident panelists will reportedly “meet with each applicant and participate in structured panel interviews to assess each candidate’s qualifications.” 

Community volunteers must meet certain requirements in order to participate. Volunteers are asked to commit a minimum of one day per month to the interview process. They also must meet a minimum age requirement of 21 years old and must live within Champaign city limits.

Applicants for the panelist position with prior experience in a supervisory or leadership role will be given preference. 

The City’s Human Resources Department will complete interview training with each volunteer before they are able to serve on the panel. 

Applications may be downloaded and completed here, and then emailed to Assistant to the Police Chief for Community Services Joe Lamberson ([email protected]). Applications may also be submitted in person to the Champaign Police Department at 82 E. University Avenue.

Any questions can be directed to Karen Hampton at Human Resources by calling 217-403-8770 or emailing [email protected].