Legendary singer Tony Bennett dead at 96

PHOTO COURTESY OF ANDY WITCHGER / WIKIMEDIA COMMONS
Tony Bennett at the State Theater in 2016.

Iconic American singer Tony Bennett passed away earlier today at the age of 96.

The Associated Press confirmed that Bennett died in his hometown; causes have not yet been disclosed.

The singer announced in 2021 that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2016. He continued to perform, hiding his declining health from the general public. His final performances were in August of 2021 at Radio City Music Hall.

Bennett is known for having an extensive professional career, spanning over eight decades. He was decorated with 20 Grammy Awards, two Primetime Emmy Awards and a Lifetime Achievement Award.

Additionally, Bennett wrote and performed several American standards, with his signature song being “I Left My Heart in San Francisco.”

Bennett began recording and performing in the 1950s after serving in World War II, and continued until 2021. 

He broke back into the popular music scene in 2014 by recording with pop artist Lady Gaga. Bennett held the world record for the oldest person to release an album with new material, releasing “Love For Sale” with Gaga in 2021 at the age of 85.

Bennett is survived by his wife, four children and nine grandchildren.