President Biden reverses Trump decision, keeps Space Command in Colorado

Jacob Slabosz

President Biden reversed the Trump administration decision to move the United States Space Command headquarters from Colorado to Alabama on Monday.

According to the Associated Press, senior U.S. officials reported that Biden was “convinced” by General James Dickinson, the current head of Space Command.

Dickinson felt that a major move of headquarters would “jeopardize military readiness,” a sentiment that was not shared by leaders of the Air Force who supported Trump’s decision.

The senior officials, who elected to remain anonymous, said that Biden believes “keeping the command in Colorado Springs would avoid a disruption in readiness that the move would cause, particularly as the U.S. races to compete with China in space.”

The original decision to move the base, made by the Trump administration in January of 2021, generated controversy over the difference in political leanings between the two states. 

Sign up for our newsletter!

As shown in a 2020 article from Insider, in 2016 and 2020, Colorado voted overwhelmingly for the democratic candidate, while Alabama strongly supported Trump in both elections.

Colorado senator John Hickenlooper said that Biden’s decision “firmly rejects the idea that politics – instead of national security – should determine basing decisions central to our national security.”

While Colorado lawmakers are in favor of the decision, the Associated Press said that “Biden’s decision is sure to enrage Alabama lawmakers and fuel accusations that abortion politics played a role in the choice.”

Colorado senator Michael Bennet said that Biden’s decision “restores integrity to the Pentagon’s basing process and sends a strong message that national security and the readiness of our Armed Forces drive our military decisions.”