Family behind Tacool announce departure from restaurant

Candice Zhou
Tacool Tacos, originally located on the East John Street, on Aug 24 were closed. Tacool bids farewell amidst disagreements with the restaurant owner, and transforms into Taco 7.

On Tuesday, the family behind Tacool announced in a post on Instagram that they will no longer be working at the restaurant. Located on the 500 block of East John Street, the popular Mexican spot was a hit on campus. 

According to the post, the family will not be returning to Tacool due to disagreements with the restaurant owner. 

“We feel that the restaurant owner … cheated us and used us to start up Tacool,” the post said. 

The post claims the owner took advantage of their agreement after witnessing the popularity of Tacool. 

“When (the owner) saw the positive results and business that Tacool was generating, he flipped on our agreements and kicked (us) out of the business and the community that we worked so hard to build,” the post said. 

The name of Tacool has been changed to Taco 7, which will remain in the same location. 

The post also thanked the local campus community for their support and welcoming attitude toward the establishment. 

“In the end, the connection we’ve built with you through Tacool is what matters the most to us,” the post said. “Thank you UIUC community for listening to our story.” 

Kayla Moy, junior in Information Sciences, said that the food at Tacool was budget-friendly and commented on the popularity of the restaurant.

“I thought the food was really affordable and authentic,” Moy said. “It was really popular during peak lunch and dinner time since the wait was really long.” 

She also expressed her disappointment at the family’s departure from Tacool.

“(I was sad) they were kicked out of their business even though it was successful,” Moy said.