Meat Science Laboratory to be renovated, University says

The first renovations to the University’s Meat Science Laboratory are set to begin nearly 40 years after its opening. The main objective of the $3 million project is to make research processes more efficient and fix various HVAC and structural issues. 

“I feel like (the Meat Science Lab) was definitely a little bit run down,” said Raya Prichisky, freshman in ACES. “The layout could be pretty confusing.”

The updates will include a new ceiling in the meat and egg sales facility and the expansion of the test kitchen. 

“I think it was very small and cramped,” Prichisky said.

Restoration comes after the University was awarded $500,000 through the recently established USDA Research Facilities Act Program. RFAP is “designed to assist in the construction, alteration, acquisition, modernization, renovation or remodeling of an agricultural research facility to enhance the institution’s long-term impact on food and agricultural research.” 

The College of ACES and Facilities and Services will also assist in financially supporting the expansion, allowing for a more spacious environment for grilling, barbecue and hospitality management classes.

The Meat Science Laboratory is located at 1503 S. Maryland Dr. in Urbana. The building originally functioned as an animal hospital for the College of Veterinary Medicine, but in the 1980s, transformed into the laboratory students know today. 

Besides being used for classes and offices, the laboratory houses the meat and egg salesroom, which is open to the general public. The building also has a variety of operations under the College of ACES. 

“It definitely could use the renovations,” Prichisky said.

The University announced the project on April 4. Specific dates and timelines for construction have yet to be announced.