Chancellor Jones addresses temporary resolution to Illini Union encampment

Alyssa Shih
A banner with “Gaza will be free” written on it hangs at the north side of the encampment during the day on Friday.

Chancellor Robert J. Jones issued a campus safety update at 11:31 p.m. Friday, stating that the University administration had reached a “peaceful resolution to end the demonstrations outside the Illini Union.” 

According to the announcement, protesters will be relocating to the space west of Gregory Avenue and north of Oregon Street where Spurlock Museum is located. 

“This location will limit the disruptions to campus operations. The demonstrators will restrict their activities to a strictly defined area. We also will be able to maintain a wider area of separation between the demonstrators and our academic operations on Monday,” the Massmail stated.

Jones acknowledged that this decision will likely cause frustration among community members, stating “I made this decision after careful and lengthy consultation with our police department, the university administration and local authorities.”

Demonstrations at Spurlock will be permitted until the conclusion of a previously scheduled meeting between protest organizers and administration on Monday at 5 p.m. 

There was a clear understanding between the protestors and University staff that there would be “immediate action to disperse the group if their activities present any new safety risks or violations of state or local law,” the Massmail stated.