Live coverage: Encampment continues to day 11, activity dwindles

UPDATE: May 8, 1:10 p.m.

A group of protesters wearing keffiyehs to cover their faces are taking assorted pictures in front of the “UIUC LIBERATION ZONE” banner with a copy of The Daily Illini Graduation Edition. On the front of the paper, they put a red sticker reading “Popular University.”

The group additionally took pictures in front of Foellinger Auditorium with the encampment in the background, waving the Palestinian flag. 

UPDATE: May 8, 11:50 a.m.

The encampment has seen a brief break in the week’s bad weather as protesters continue to sit for their 11th day on the south end of the Main Quad. 

The total number of structures within the encampment does not appear to have changed, as 61 tents are still present on the Main Quad. Many of these appear to be uninhabited.

Graduating students continue to take pictures on the steps of Foellinger Auditorium and other sections of the Main Quad around the encampment. 

The University chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine has yet to share a schedule of the days’ events.

UPDATE: May 8, 12:53 a.m.

**Story includes vulgarity.**

A group of four intoxicated males yelled profanities at the members of the encampment.

They yelled numerous expletives such as “suck my balls.”

“You’re f—— up their graduation,” one of the individuals said as they walked laps around the encampment. “People are trying to take their graduation photos, and they worked so hard and you’re f—— it up.”

One of the individuals also yelled at the encampment to “work for the American Dream instead of living on the (Main) Quad.”

May 8, 12:25 a.m.

**Story includes vulgarity.**

One of two individuals on the east side of the Main Quad by Foellinger Auditorium yelled at the members of the encampment, “f—— Nazis” and other expletives.

According to two female members of the encampment who were targeted, they were called “b—-” and other vulgarities.

At the time, the encampment was holding a screening of “Farha” (2021), a film about a Palestinian girl’s coming-of-age story amidst the 1948 Nakba, to which the individual yelled, “You’re watching a replay of World War II.”