Dean of Gies College of Business to step down after this year

Jeffery Brown will step down as dean of the Gies College of Business at the end of this academic year in 2024, per a press release from the college on Tuesday.

Brown, who earned his doctorate in economics from MIT and his bachelor’s degree from Miami University of Ohio, joined the college faculty in 2002 as a professor of finance. He has served as dean since 2015. 

His decision to step down means that he will finish his second five-year term, slated to end a year early in May 2025.

When he began his tenure as dean, Brown promised three key commitments: access, innovation and excellence. 

These commitments led to the reconceptualization of the college’s undergraduate and graduate programs as well as greater support for faculty members, Brown said in a video message. 

The shift to online courses and degree offerings, in particular through the University’s iMBA program, was implemented to provide greater accessibility, adapt to new learning methods and lower barriers to education. 

“We’ve more than doubled the number of learners that we serve each year,” Brown said. “We pioneered the future of online education and showed the world that it’s possible to democratize education.” 

Brown was also responsible for completing a record-breaking funding initiative in which the college received the “Gies” surname. 

“(Brown) will be most remembered for ushering in the largest single gift in the history of the University of Illinois — a $150 million naming gift from Larry and Beth Gies in 2017,” the press release said. 

According to the press release, Brown believes it is time to transition to a new dean and start a new chapter for the college. The next dean’s tenure will begin with the opening of Wymer Hall, a new academic facility set to open in early 2025. 

“This marks a wonderful time to transition to a new dean so they can open our beautiful new facility, lead these conversations and then deliver the next round of innovation,” Brown said. 

Now, the University will launch a “global search” for the college’s 11th dean. 

Brown ended his message by bidding farewell and expressing his gratitude to the campus community. 

“Serving as dean of Gies is by far the most exciting, impactful and gratifying job I’ve ever held and I owe so much of that to all of you,” Brown said.