Chancellor Jones cancels State of University Address

Chancellor Robert Jones released a statement last week announcing the cancellation of the State of University Address event that was originally scheduled to take place on Tuesday. The event was intended to discuss an overview of the academic year as well as offer updates on current plans and initiatives by the University’s administration.

In the statement released by Chancellor Jones, he stated that the reason for the cancellation was due to the time of the academic year weighing on students and faculty. 

“As much as I personally enjoy being together with members of the university community and talking about our successes, I believe we all might find an extra hour of silence and peace to be more restorative,” Chancellor Jones said. 

In addition to canceling the State of the University Address, Chancellor Jones announced that he will implement “a new tradition” called the Chancellor’s Annual Report, which will be a digital overview of topics intended to be addressed in replacement of the canceled SOUA, expected to be developed later this fall.

Chancellor Jones further announced an opportunity to discuss goals for the University called the Boldy Illinois Strategic Framework, which will be released during the Spring 2024 semester.

“There is no other institution in this state that has the capacity and the vision to translate our missions of teaching and learning, discovery and public engagement into real, measurable and positive impacts for the citizens of our state and beyond,” Chancellor Jones said.