What to expect from upcoming NTFC union negotiations

The University’s Non-Tenured Faculty Coalition (NTFC) has been negotiating improved rights since December and is set to continue in two weeks.

The NTFC is seeking a procedure protecting applicant rights during this promotion process, such as the right to appeal, and pre-promotion reviews that give an ample amount of time for preparation.

Since the minimum pay was raised from $35k to $45k in 2017, it has not been raised since to account for the rising cost of living. Non-tenured professors are often subject to more work for less pay, a main concern of the NTFC. Sometimes, this includes taking on additional work outside of the original hired position.

The NTFC’s goal is to allow for specialized faculty to file grievances through the union; according to their website, this ensures “the faculty voices can be heard without fear of retaliation.”

This lack of structure translates into the specialized faculty promotion process. Typically, assistant professors are promoted into associate professors and then into full. However, there is little support provided in this process. Some applicants were given little time to send their documents for a pre-promotion or promotion review and did not receive useful feedback. Additionally, there is no way to appeal denials that likely resulted from this process.

The University Statutes defines faculty as those teaching with tenure. Non-tenured employees are designated as other academics, or specialized faculty who focus on either research or teaching at the University.

A tenured track is highly sought after due to its assured job security. Professors would be able to research any topic without the threat of job loss or pushback from the University. If a tenured professor were to be let go, it would be due to extenuating circumstances.

As of March 15, the Union has signed off on tentative agreements on four articles: grievance, personnel files, unauthorized work stoppage and nondiscrimination. For the next session, negotiations will include providing gender-affirming care as part of the insurance package.

The coming eighth day of negotiation has been moved from April 12 to April 26, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Illini Union Ballroom.